The Lost Luna Piece - 4

FOUR



Rita pushed the door gently. ‘Please come upwards in,’ she said.

Ejike stepped into the room. ‘You didn’t lock your door?’


‘Couldn’t have—ran out inwards a hurry.’

Ejike looked circular the room. It looked dandy in addition to smelled good; he wished only in that location had been to a greater extent than space.

The 2 chocolate-brown sofas at the pump nearly took away all the space. The carpet was flower-patterned in addition to its mix of brown, dark in addition to white colours blended good alongside the other components of the room.

The curtains were a mix of teal in addition to brown, in addition to of unproblematic design.

Ejike walked to the film frame on the tabular array beside him. He stared at the icon of 2 smiling women. ‘You in addition to your daughter?’ he said, picking upwards the frame.

Rita nodded. ‘Yes.’

Ejike continued to facial expression at the photograph. It was slow to come across that the photograph was non taken inwards this room. And non inwards a photograph studio either. It was somewhere else, somewhere that looked similar a sometime home. Somewhere to a greater extent than befitting to the graceful adult woman beside him.

‘She looks similar you.’

Rita produced a small-scale smile. ‘Actually, she took to a greater extent than after her father.’ Rita touched the frame. ‘But the olfactory organ is mine.’

Ejike glanced at Rita. ‘Even the lips.’

Rita’s grinning widened a bit.

Ejike dropped the photograph dorsum inwards its place. ‘So where is he?’

‘Who?’

‘Her father.’

‘Oh.’

Ejike chop-chop realized the inquiry made her uncomfortable. ‘It’s okay, I’m distressing I asked.’

‘Oh no. He is just…just real far away.’

‘Okay.’

‘Why non sit down down, allow me larn yous a bottle of Coke.’

‘No, I’m okay.’

‘Or yous tin advert whatever else you’d similar to have, allow me move larn it.’

‘Don’t bother yourself.’

‘You sure?’

‘I am. Thank you.’ He watched Rita pick a cushion on the sofa in addition to plough it to human face upwards the right front. ‘I volition survive leaving now,’ he said. ‘I volition come upwards dorsum afterward to banking concern check on you. I am certainly past times then, she’d receive got come upwards home.’

‘Thank you.’ Rita industrial plant life something almost his natural confidence admirable—the agency he rarely left whatsoever room for doubts in addition to uncertainties.

‘Are yous from this village,’ she asked him.

‘Yes.’

‘What practice yous practice for a living?’

Finally, Rita saw a novel character to him. This i inquiry seemed to receive got wilted something inwards him.

‘I’m distressing if my inquiry offended you.’

‘No,’ he said. ‘I ran a line of piece of occupation concern which lately merely failed.’

‘Oh.’

‘Yes.’

‘I’m thence distressing almost that.’

Ejike nodded. ‘I’m used to it.’

Rita wondered what he meant. ‘What nature of business, if I may ask?’ she asked.

He looked at Rita earlier he answered: ‘Cosmetics supply.’

‘Again, my sympathy.’

‘You learn at the Girl’s College, don’t you?’

Rita looked somewhat amused. ‘What makes yous think that?’

He glanced circular the room in addition to finally his gaze settled on the pile of books on the table.

‘Oh,’ Rita said. ‘Those belong to Fiona. I move alongside Bake-Star upwards town.’

‘I similar their biscuits. Can I larn some?’

Rita smiled. ‘Probably if I had been inwards Production I would receive got had samples. I am merely their line of piece of occupation concern human relationship keeper.’

‘Okay.’

‘What did yous study; I tin verbalize to the director on your behalf in addition to come across if in that location is whatsoever vacancy.’

‘I receive got no certificate.’

‘Oh.’

‘Yes. But my married adult woman does, I tin come upwards alongside her in addition to come across if yous tin assist us.’

‘Your wife? Are yous married?’

‘Yes. Since v years now.’

‘Oh wow. You withal facial expression real young.’

‘I am 37 years old.’

‘Wow! You tin easily overstep for nether 30.’

‘How old are you?’

Rita recoiled at the question. It mightiness survive the agency he’d asked it: likewise unexpectedly. Confidently.

‘Well, I’m quite older than yous are.’

Instead of probing her further, Ejike only gave a calorie-free smile.

‘You should survive getting domicile to your identify unit of measurement now,’ Rita said, ‘I shouldn’t hold yous whatsoever longer than this.’

‘I don’t receive got whatsoever kids yet.’

Rita wondered why he idea she was referring to kids. She could somehow sense his underlying want for kids. He apparently is i of those who experience their families are incomplete without kids.

Not knowing what is improve to say, Rita said: ‘It’s withal a immature marriage; kids volition come upwards inwards no time.’

‘You think so?’

‘I know so.’

‘Okay. I volition come upwards dorsum afterward thence that nosotros verbalize more.’

‘Okay. Greet your married adult woman for me.’

‘I will.’

***

Sammy did non verbalize to Ejike yet when he returned. She only handed him the listing of items she’d drawn up. ‘Get me those, I want to brand soup.’

Ejike collected the slice of newspaper from her in addition to skimmed through it. ‘Egusi?’

‘Yes.’

‘Why non brand efo rulo.’

Efo riro. I doubtfulness yous volition come across fresh efo leaves at the market.’

‘I volition see.’

‘What of iru?’

Ejike said nothing.

‘Just purchase the things for egusi. Papa mightiness non similar to swallow efo after I brand it.’

‘He volition similar it.’

‘Go in addition to larn what I wrote!’

Ejike wondered why she appeared thence upset. Perhaps it is hunger.

Sammy wondered why Ejike didn’t shout dorsum at her in addition to merely folded the newspaper in addition to walked away. Perhaps it is hunger.

He used Onyemaechi’s motorbike after he has changed the plug in addition to inwards a small fourth dimension he’d returned.

He gave Sammy the handbag of items he’d purchased in addition to thence walked to his father’s room to banking concern check on him.

He helped him exterior in addition to lowered him on the mat nether the big ogbu tree, beside Uzoma’s caprine animal house. Onyemaechi specially enjoyed the calorie-free breeze that drifted underneath the tree.

***

Sammy was trying to brand the mail away when Uzoma returned from her farm.

It was nearing the fourth dimension of the rains in addition to she had gone to goal upwards alongside clearing.

‘Planting early, at the driblet of the starting fourth dimension rain,’ her friend, Obiageli, told her, ‘is the only truthful solution to the cocoyam illness from the North.’

‘If yous industrial plant life early, thence past times the fourth dimension the unsafe winds that conduct the illness along comes, your cocoyams would receive got grown their finally foliage,’ Obiageli said.

Because Uzoma knew improve than to always swallow whatsoever flush from Obiageli (anybody from Nwanchi generally) hook, line in addition to sinker, she waited till someone else confirmed the effectiveness of this strategy earlier eventually agreeing to accept it on.

So this year, equally presently equally the starting fourth dimension big pelting touches the ground, hopefully at the middle of March or early on April, Uzoma would industrial plant life her cocoyams, in addition to promise for the best.

She halted when she saw Sammy crouched at the mail away place. ‘What are yous doing?’ she asked her.

Sammy wiped exertion off her human face upwards in addition to turned. ‘Trying to brand the fire. I want to brand soup.’

‘What soup?’

Egusi. Ejike has bought the items.’

Uzoma stared at her. She dropped her hoe in addition to dwarf cutlass in addition to walked toward the mail away place.

Puta—move aside.’ She bent in addition to rearranged the sticks Sammy had packed nether the tripod. ‘What happened to your stove?’

‘The wicks receive got move real small in addition to in that location is non plenty kerosene.’

In a thing of seconds, Uzoma has gotten the mail away upwards in addition to burning.

‘Thank you,’ Sammy said.

Uzoma looked at her in addition to thence walked away.

Again, Sammy wondered why the precipitous demo of kindness.

***



***

Ejike returned to Rita’s theatre inwards the evening.

And he stayed upwards till real tardily into the night. Till they exhausted intelligence topics in addition to straightaway stared silently into the air.

‘I’m scared,’ Rita said.

‘Why?’ Ejike asked.

Rita glanced at the clock. ‘It’s past times 9. Where could she be?’

‘Does she receive got a boyfriend?’

Rita made a face; she industrial plant life the inquiry ridiculous.

‘Does she?’ Ejike repeated himself.

‘No. No. She is only 19.’

‘How old were yous when yous starting fourth dimension knew a man?’

Rita recoiled. His boldness is non ever awesome, after all.

‘Before 10 she volition come upwards in, trust me,’ Ejike said, finally.

There were thence many other things Rita could receive got said then, but she decided to force away her doubts in addition to for i time purchase firmly into his faith.

‘Tell me almost your wife,’ she said.

Ejike turned to her. ‘She is fine. She is at home.’

‘No, I hateful things almost her.’

Ejike stared at Rita.

‘Can you?’

‘She is Yoruba.’

‘Oh…okay?’

For many seconds, Ejike said cypher else.

‘Is that all?’ Rita asked.

‘I don’t know what else you’d similar to know.’

‘How much practice yous love her?’

‘I love her.’

‘How much?’

‘Very much.’

‘What are the things almost her yous notice special?’

‘She is a real stubborn adult woman but I love her.’

Rita smiled, real weakly. ‘What else?’

‘What else should I say?’

‘Are yous happy that yous married her?’

‘I am happy that she agreed to espouse me.’

‘What practice yous hateful past times that?’

‘She is a graduate, I am non one. I don’t receive got coin but she hasn’t i time insulted me over it.’

‘You must notice her real angelic, don’t you?’

‘Well, maybe.’

‘That’s nice. I come across yous receive got a happy home.’

Ejike smiled, but apparently non inwards agreement. ‘We don’t receive got whatsoever kids yet.’

‘You badly want kids?’

‘Yes, but she doesn’t.’

‘Who? You wife?’

He nodded.

Rita swallowed. She spread out the Federal Reserve notation inwards her manus in addition to read her daughter’s message i time again:

“I’ve gone, Mum. Don’t bother looking for me because yous volition never notice me.”

Rita remembered how only a few years dorsum she had done a similar thing to her husband.

She folded the newspaper i time again in addition to turned to Ejike. ‘Why practice yous want kids?’

‘I am non immature anymore. I want to come across what my children would facial expression similar earlier I die. Perhaps if I could larn by to develop them well, they mightiness someday accomplish all that I ever dreamed of achieving but couldn’t.’

‘That’s a real incorrect argue for having kids, yous know that?’

‘What practice yous mean?’

‘How would yous experience when the kids finally larn inwards in addition to couldn’t accomplish these targets yous already laid out for them?’

Ejike said nothing, merely staring at her.

‘Very disappointed, right?’

‘I said I volition develop them well. I volition move real difficult in addition to brand certainly they move to school.’

‘And if they select non to?’

‘What?’

‘What would yous practice if your kids don’t move past times your rule? Don’t come across life the agency yous come across it? Don’t similar whatsoever of the things yous like? What would yous practice to them then?’

Ejike kept quiet. ‘The same agency a man’s life is incomplete without money, a union is incomplete without children,’ he finally said.

‘Why practice yous think a man’s life is incomplete without money?’

‘You are a woman; yous can’t mayhap understand.’

‘You think women don’t demand money?’

‘They do. But they receive got 2 options. Men receive got merely one.’

Rita appeared somewhat surprised. Or actually merely real curious. ‘And what are those?’

‘As a woman, yous either brand coin yourself or espouse a human who already has it. Every human must climb the ladder himself.’

‘You think rich women don’t espouse wretched men?’

‘It doesn’t happen.’

‘What?’

‘There is cypher equally ugly equally a adult woman feeding a man. It feels similar the opposite of nature.’

‘Well I must tell yous that it happens now. Every unmarried day.’

‘You know anyone?’

Rita chop-chop scoured through her mind. ‘Well, I mightiness non know anyone but that does non hateful it is non happening.’

‘Even if it does, it is quite rare. The responsibleness of taking aid of the identify unit of measurement falls on the man. Any human who is thence stupid equally to allow a adult woman feed him deserves to survive shamed.’

‘I don’t think so. Though I must acknowledge that at to the lowest degree inwards this business office of the world, a skillful pct of families are run past times men.’

‘It is inwards the instinct of a human to survive the breadwinner. The protector. Not that it brings us whatsoever detail joy, but such destinies are non slow to change.’

‘I believe inwards both members of the identify unit of measurement contributing their business office inwards the upkeep of the home. Everyone should assist inwards whichever agency he or she can.’

‘I similar that. I totally agree.’

Rita stared at him. ‘And I think I should also allow yous know that everything is non almost money.’

Ejike shook his head. ‘No, non true, this one. As far equally this footing is concerned, coin is everything.’

‘Coming from someone who i time controlled millions, believe me, dear, when I tell to yous that that is non exclusively true.’

‘What?’

Rita shifted inwards her seat. ‘Ejike, inwards this hamlet I receive got seen people who grinning every day, laugh, savour themselves, facial expression much happier than I ever was when I was withal married in addition to having lots of money.’

‘Money didn’t brand yous happy?’

‘Money doesn’t brand anyone happy, my dear. At whatsoever signal inwards fourth dimension yous must experience in that location is something missing inwards your life. For yous straightaway it is coin because yous don’t receive got it yet. But when yous finally do, real chop-chop yous volition also realise in that location is something else missing in addition to all your attending volition survive refocused towards it. Satisfaction inwards life is an endless struggle. One of my favourite writers i time said nosotros are all going to snuff it poor.’

‘Who is the person?’

‘Daniel Nkado. Not thence good known but I don’t immature adult woman whatsoever mass past times him.’

‘Well, your author friend doesn’t know what he is saying. There are equally much rich people inwards this footing equally in that location are wretched people.’

‘Well, according to him, poverty is a lack inwards something. And actually he is quite real right that inwards life in that location is ever something nosotros lack.’

Ejike stared at Rita. He stood. ‘I volition come across yous inwards the morning.’

Rita rose too. ‘You want to move out now? Why?’

Just thence someone pushed the door out in addition to entered the room.

Rita’s eyes ran to the clock. It was 10:45.

***

Sammy waited in addition to waited for her hubby to return, but he didn’t.

She came exterior in addition to stayed on the veranda for a while.

Then she stood in addition to made her agency toward the gate. She opened the small-scale gate a tiny crevice in addition to disappeared into the night.

Sumber http://www.dnbstories.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post